Gathering of Hosts Medieval/Fantasy Rules.
Summary as played July 2017.
Summary as played July 2017.
Groups. A Group is 1 stand or multiple stands which are touching and aligned.
Measuring. All measuring is in terms of lengths which are anything that works for you. I usually use 3" with my 25's on 60mm bases.
Initiative. Draw a card each turn to see who goes first. Include chance cards if desired.
Sequence. Active side moves and/or shoots all units then resolves melee group by group.
Command. If group is not within 6 lengths of Commander must roll:
5,6 obey orders, 3,4 1/2 move no charge unless shock troops, 1,2 No Move. -1 if Levy +1 If Elite/Veteran
- 2 lengths for Infantry, Artillery or Wagons, 3 lengths for Light Infantry, Great Beasts or Heavy Cavalry, 4 lengths for Cavalry, 5 lengths for Light Cavalry.
- Charge to front only. A stand may not shoot and charge.
- Single stands may move any direction and change facing. Groups may only wheel unless drilled.
- Group within 1 length of front of enemy may only move towards it or retreat away from it.
- To form or reform a group, a designated guide stand must stand still. Pikes can form square if they don't move.
- Woods etc lose 1 length if Infantry, 2 if any mounted.
- Skirmishers may move through others, cavalry may move through freindly skirmishers.
- Target must be to front except horse archers may fire to rear. 45 degree arc either side of ahead.
- Shoot once per turn
- Archers shoot 2 dice at 4 lengths if they do not move that turn,
- Horse Archers and Skirmishers may shoot 1 die at 2 lengths then move,
- Artillery shoot 1 die at 8 lengths if they do not move that turn and are deployed. Takes a whole move to deploy or pack up mobile artillery.
- 5,6 hits Owner of group chooses where to put hit.
+1 if artillery
-1 vs cover or heavy.
- Stands in contact roll vs enemy in contact with front. Hits go on opposing stand in contact.
- Roll 2 dice per stand except 1 if skirmishers
- add 1 die for each overlapping friend not itself in contact
- add 1 die if shock troops charging or if any pursuing
- lose 1 die if any but light infantry and skirmishers are in or charged through woods or over an obstacle.
- Each 5,6 hits
- -1 per die vs enemy who is heavy or in cover or is spearmen being attacked from the front
- Commander in contact rolls extra die but 1=wounded. Roll again 1=dead o/w out of action 1 turn.
- Remove destroyed stands.
- A stand still in contact that took more hits than it inflicted will recoil 1 length unless blocked. The opposing stand may follow up if they charged this player turn and must do so if Impetuous.
- Strength. Hits are a mix of casualties, fatigue, fear etc. When a stand has taken as many hits as its strength it is removed. Light infantry and all Cavalry take 3 hits, other Infantry take 4 hits.
+1 hit if Elite/Veteran
-1 hit if levy.
- Rally. A Stand with 2 or more hits which is not within bow shot of enemy may Rally instead of moving. Roll 1 die 5,6 recovers 1 hit.
- Commander Morale. Army losing 1/2 stands concedes unless scenario overrules. Scenario Objectives may be used to boost morale.