Saturday, April 18, 2015

An Old Shock Returns

Before I redrew my grid I considered the effect on my recently revived medieval/fantasy armies. My basic conclusion was that I wasn't sure that I was headed in the right direction but that I was enjoying it and in one format or another it was here for a while yet!

Advance Guards of the Great King and the Empire clash.

A short while later a conversation about an Old School fantasy battle game based on Morschauser rather than Chainmail or some newer system sparked my interest. So, here I am, about to play a game with Morschauser's original Shock Period rules as written before I start serious work on a derivative.

4 comments:

  1. I bought his book when re issued and find I go back to it again and again. I will be therefore really interested to read how the battles (and the rules) fair...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross and I have gone to this well before, so it seems like a good place to start on this. My collection of old figures has a lot of small batches of things, so something element-based will match the figures. Most of the actual early fantasy rules in my collection are based on nose counting, and figure base widths are important.

      Delete
  2. Im not familiar with Morschauser though I am definitely of Chainmail vintage and still have my copy from high school. I'll be following this with interest.
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morschuaser's book was published in '62 and was one of if not the first to use a stand of miniatures as a unit with set characteristics and factors rather than dealing with individual figures grouped into units. I didn't hear of him till this century. Now republished by John Curry but often found at used book stalls at US cons.

      Delete